Monday, January 18, 2010

Has it really been this long?


I'm horrible. I have been cooking, I swear... just not too much that is new. Except for my big holiday family meal... but I forgot to take photos, so next time I cook those recipes, I'll add them.

But, today I'm procrastinating, so of course I cooked. No pictures yet since we're not going to sit down to eat anything for another few hours. But, I just made (for the second time) the world's best and easiest Potato, Leek, and Cheddar Soup and had to share the recipe. It's one I found somewhere else for a vegetarian/vegan soup and I tweaked and added and subtracted and came up with this. Joel is addicted. I'm addicted. But, I've only made it twice because I think it's actually pretty bad for you or at least fattening.

Anyway, here's the recipe... I'm so sorry for the vague measurements, but this is a recipe that I tend to just do to taste all the way through...

Potato-Leek-Cheddar Soup
Ingredients --
3 Tblsp. butter (or margarine)
2-3 leeks
1 yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced (I use huge cloves, so you might even get away with throwing in a few more if they're tiny)
yukon gold potatoes (the original recipe I had called for 5-6, but since I was using organic and they were small, I threw in about 10)
1 block of sharp cheddar cheese
4-6 c. of chicken stock or broth (or vegetable stock or broth)... low sodium is better
Milk or cream (any % is fine) -- I use between 1/4 and 1/2 c. depending on what I have in the house
Thyme (maybe 1/4 tsp)
Parsley (maybe 1/2 tsp)
Salt (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)

For this recipe, it is easier to prep everything first before you start cooking.

So, into prep bowl # 1 goes the onions and leeks -- Wash the leeks and slice them thinly. (If you've never cooked with leeks before, it's important to pull each layer apart since dirt hides between each and every one usually.) Slice the onions thinly.

Into prep bowl #2 goes the garlic -- Peel and mince.

Into prep bowl #3 go the potatoes -- Scrub the potatoes to get all the dirt off. (The peels stay on in this recipe.) Slice the potatoes thinly (into circles; not matchsticks).

Now to cook:

In a pot (I love my Calphalon Dutch Oven), melt the butter. Add the leeks and onions and cook until they start to brown. Then, add the garlic to the pot and cook for about 2 minutes.

Then, add the potatoes, mix, and add enough stock to cover the potatoes. Let cook until the potatoes are soft. (It takes about 30 minutes.)

Blend the soup (immersion hand blender is the easiest way to do this) until smooth. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the milk. Then, add the spices. (Keep tasting to make sure you add the amount of spices you want to make it taste good.)

Finally, let it heat up and serve. Voila! That's all there is to it.

And, it's delicious. Kids and adults should both love it. And, it's thick and rich and just wonderful.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment