Monday, January 25, 2010

Fancy marinara

I'm still cooking through our cupboard, so I thought I'd go vegetarian tonight. (We're trying to go more low-cholesterol in our diets.) Now, I'm not Italian and don't claim to be. (I leave that title to my cousin who is lucky enough to have a mother who learned how to cook Italian from her mother-in-law.) But, tonight's meal was capellini and marinara.

The marinara is super easy and can be tweaked based on what you have in your cupboard. (For example, if I had carrots or zuchinni in our cupboard, or if my husband let me bring eggplant into the house, I would have diced those up and added them to the sauce.)

Again, I don't have a real recipe for this... I do it by sight, feel, and taste. (Make sure to taste a lot so you balance the spices.) And it's the winter, so I only have canned tomatoes... if it was summer, I'd use fresh.


Ingredients:
1 large can of whole tomatoes
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tblsp. oil
1 tsp. sugar (this cuts the bitterness of the tomatoes)
2 bay leaves (make sure to take these out before serving)
oregano (1 Tblsp.-ish)
basil (1 Tblsp.-ish)
parsley (1 Tblsp.-ish)
red wine
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until the onions get clear. Add the tomato ingredients and mix together. Add the bay leaves and sugar. Add the other spices to taste. Pour in a little bit of red wine. (Today I used a wine I really like to drink, so I poured less of it into the sauce.) Stir in the amount of parmesan you prefer (I probably used about 1/4 cup.) Season to taste. Cook until hot and slightly thickened.

Very easy. It's the kind of recipe you can cook less and serve chunkier and thinner or cook longer and have a little thicker. I like to serve over angel hair pasta with a side of garlic bread.

And for dessert? The peaches I canned this summer when I taught myself how to can. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment