Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday


While I don't really care about either team this year (poor Bears), we're still going to a Super Bowl party this afternoon, and I made a trio of dips. Hummus (which you've already read about since I make it a lot), Roasted Red Pepper Dip, and Roasted Eggplant Dip. (And, of course, the pita chips, which you can find the recipe for in a previous post.)
These dips taste good, are really filling, and are wonderful if you're looking for an appetizer that is vegetarian and/or healthy. If I cannot remember how many vegetarians are going to be at a party, I tend to make this kind of an appetizer because it tastes good, but doesn't take a lot of time (especially thanks to my Cuisinart 14-cup Food Processor, which makes everything easier.)
For the roasted red pepper dip, roast 4 peppers. Add them to the cuisinart with ground, toasted walnuts, toasted cumin, salt, pepper, 2 slices of white bread (yes, really), red pepper, olive oil, and vinegar (I use red wine vinegar.) Blend together, and that's it. (It's really that easy.)
For the eggplant dip, roast 2 eggplants (which you have pierced throughout with a knife and stuffed with 2 cloves of garlic thinner sliced). Scoop out the insides and put in your food processor. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, parsley, and fresh mint. Blend, and, again, that's all there is to it.
(That's why this is such a great thing to bring.) If you didn't have to roast everything and wash out the food processor after each dip, all three dips would take under 10 minutes to make in total.)
What did everyone else make for their Super Bowl festivities? I'd love to hear your recipes. Feel free to post them in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin,
    I love reading your blog. I'm very interested in the kinds of things you are making. What is your most favorite thing to make, if you have one (or more)? Just curious. I'm still waiting for a good shepherd's pie recipe. :-)
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete