Sunday, February 15, 2009

I have been cooking... really!


So, I've been a little distracted the last couple of weeks while looking for a new job. The goods news is... I found one! (And, I start tomorrow!) It's part-time, but I'll be working for a nonprofit, which is exactly what I want to be doing. And, I'll still have time to work on some freelance editing and writing projects I've taken on.
But, I have been cooking. (I just haven't had a chance to upload.) I'm cooking a lot today, so I figured while I wait for some things to cook, I better get some of this updated or I'd have too much to update when I finally got to it.
I made this amazing recipe last week. This is my mom's cashew chicken with a vegetable stir-fry and white rice. This cashew chicken was my favorite food (besides spaghetti) when I was a kid, but my mom very rarely made it. After making it, I can see why. It's a mess! But, the end result is so delicious, it's completely worth it. Basically, instead of stir-frying chicken, adding some cashews, and then some vegetables, you coat the chicken in crushed cashews and fry that up instead. It's like heaven. And, if you're a Costco shopper, you can get a huge vat of cashews for under $12, so it's not obscenely expensive.
And, even better, for once I made a really good veggie stir-fry. I took the vegetables I had in the house, chopped them up, and marinaded them in some soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and some garlic chili paste. Then, I stir-fried them in a little bit of peanut oil, and voila! Delicious vegetable stir-fry. I repeated the veggie stir-fry later in the week with bite-size pieces of chicken I seasoned with the same marinade and then stir-fried on their own to make a little more crispy, and it also got rave reviews. (Thanks, Sahal!) Plus, it took me only about 30 minutes to create the second stir-fry, so the boys got to enjoy the final product while watching Family Guy.
Next up... flank steak, creamed corn, sesame green beans, baked potatoes, crescent rolls, and chocolate-dipped strawberries. (That's dinner today... we're celebrating!) And, I'm making a couple of others things for lunches for the week that I might post... sweet potato and butternut squash soup and my healthy version of twice-baked potatoes (complete with skim milk and broccoli.)

3 comments:

  1. Okay so what is the recipe for this great cashew chicken? Did you cook it in a wok or will any frying pan do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin! Great blog :) I can't wait to read more!
    I hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm behind in my comments. (Actually, I just can't figure out the setting to notify me when a comment comes in.)

    To cook this, I used my Dutch oven. (I don't think we own a wok.) Something deep so that the oil doesn't splatter out the sides. It works for frying up some chicken wings, too.

    ReplyDelete