Monday, January 26, 2009

Sorry it's been a few days...

... the only think I've cooked since the last time I posted has been mac and cheese, and it's from a box, so that's just not even worth the time to sign in.

Tonight, I almost cooked cashew chicken, but then Joel reminded me that he was going to see Metallica tonight, so there goes that idea. Instead, I whipped up a quick (but from scratch) spaghetti sauce. To my Italian readers, I apologize, but to everyone else it's not a bad last minute dish. I didn't bother to take a photo... it's red sauce.

But, what I did. Olive oil at the bottom of a wonderful brand new Calphalon pan (if you're considering getting married, the gifts are one of the best parts... well, that and ending up with a wonderful husband.) Spoonful of minced garlic. Usually I mince it myself, but when I don't feel like making a mess, Trader Joes actually sells it by the small jar, and I keep in the fridge for simple recipes like this. Add a can on crushed tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, a bunch of spices to taste (I used salt, red pepper, oregano, parsley, onion powder, and sugar.) Add some red wine. (I also keep a bottle of red cooking wine in the fridge so I don't have to open a bottle if I don't want to.) Cook it all down. (Don't forget your splatter guard!) Then stir in some parmesan and serve over a pasta of your choice. (Joel wanted bowtie pasta, so that's what we had.)

Anyway, that was it, nothing too exciting. However, now that I've left my full-time position to try my hand at freelance writing and hopefully pick up something part-time in the nonprofit field, I should have more time to cook.

Today I got a new Cook's Illustrated, though, so I can't wait to sit down and read... and test out their recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment