Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Alinea at Home

My wonderful husband bought me the Alinea cookbook (autographed by Grant Achatz!) as a wedding gift. (I still think I won with the hand-made heavy metal quilt, but I digress.) Anyway, as I was saying... the Alinea cookbook is absolutely amazing. Gorgeous photos, clean look. And since Joel and I have actually been lucky enough to eat at Alinea twice, I'm super excited about trying my hand at some of the recipes. Super excited and, well, scared. For those of you have never even heard of Alinea, it's all molecular gastronomy. What's that mean? Well, go look at the pictures here and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, so I'm scared to try out these recipes. They're extremely complicated, call for a huge number of steps and ingredients, and since I don't eat pork or shellfish, there are a bunch I'd have to figure out what kind of meat to substitute anyway.

But, I was bored one night and started surfing the Internet. (I'm still amazed by how many blogs are out there on all of the stuff I'm interested in.) But, I found one that is amazing. Alinea at Home. This amazing woman who isn't a professional chef at all is cooking her way through the entire Alinea cookbook (with mixed results). I'm posting now because her most recent posting sounded amazing (minus the tuna... I hate tuna.) But, the marinade and glaze sound both amazing and like something that I could easily do at home. Maybe brush on some salmon or even a flank steak, and I bet it would be super tasty. I definitely have to try that one of these days when I have a lot of time and patience.

Maybe I'll even try my own hand at cooking my way through (at least part of) the Alinea cookbook. Any suggestions for where to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment